Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mostly about Snakes

I didn't know anything about basilisk before I read Harry Potter. Book two is the only one I have read before. I have run into the basilisk in a few other places since them.
It seems to be one of the more fluid mythical creatures. There are some creatures, like mermaids, that everyone has a pretty clear idea of, but the Basilisk evolved into a few other terrifying creatures so stories seem to differ about what they are like. They are very poisonous and their eyes can kill. I've read that their breath and their voices are also deadly. It is called the King of reptiles because of a crown like crest on it's head. Its size seems to be a point of disagreement. It might be a normal sized snake. In other stories it has feet and wings. But then, I guess it's called a Cockatrice. It turns people to stone with it's glance and people do indeed carry around mirrors and other reflective devises to protect themselves from it's eyes. I didn't find anything about Spiders being it's enemy. Keeping a weasel with you, as well as a rooster, might be some protection.

(side not: I found this book's climax, the scene in the Chamber of Secrets, much more satisfying than the last book. It was a more active and believable. It also relies heavily on an unexplainable magic preformed by Harry/Dumbledore but I could forgive the Phoenix for teleporting from D's office. The journal concept was cool and the destruction of it was good too. Harry's way more of a hero than in the last book.)

Mandrakes are an odd one to look up because they are a real plant. But in mythology, as far as I can tell, they are associated with fertility. They do have a cry that can kill you, are turn you to stone, but I didn't hear about them un-statuing people, or un-petrifying. I think they are entertaining, if a little disturbing in Potter.

1 comment:

  1. Forgot I was going to look up house elfs. I have a book from the library about elfs, or "little people." I scanned it looking for creatures who go free if you give them an article of clothing. I swear I read something like that in another book. I couldn't find the thing I had seen before, but I did find that Brownies are very helpful elfs that will do your house work and help brew your beer in return for sweets. They are very insulted by open generosity, however, and will abandon the house if the owner donates clothing to them. It seems that elfs are a thing to be flattered or gotten rid of, but not to enslave. I appreciate the variation on the tradition in Rowling.

    ReplyDelete