Thursday, May 19, 2011

Random reflections on Sorcerer's Stone

I read the first few books quite a bit when I was younger, it had been a while since I read them though. I apologize for the disorganized writing, but I had more than a few thoughts.

The Dursleys’ reactions toward magic are quite cartoonish, rather comic, and hilariously mis-proportioned. The reasons seem equally ridiculous with thoughts of what would the neighbors think and such drivel. There is no glimmer of hope that they will even consider magic as a good thing or even noble. The reactions of fear, envy, and hate come from something they don’t understand and refuse to try understanding. With the attempt of forcing their brand ignorance upon Harry, they truly believe they are doing the right thing. Actually I couldn’t help thinking while reading the first few chapters that if Richard Dawkins was in Vernon Dursley’s shoes he would do the same thing. It really isn’t a kind thought, after all Vernon Dursley isn’t a glory-hound.

“Yeh don’ know what yeh are?” - Rubeus Hagrid (SS chp. 4)

This really struck me, because that is what would happen to all of us if Dawkins and his ilk had their way. We are religious creatures, always have been, it’s within each of us, even deeper than our DNA. What Dawkins and the Dursleys don’t realize is that you cannot remove something integral from a person’s being just because it makes you uncomfortable.

Well, I thought the comparison was funny.


Really what amazed me was Harry’s reactions to magic. A healthy wonder coupled with a good dose of humility. A couple humility examples: Harry at first can’t believe that he has wizardry powers, later he confides in Hagrid and Ron (on separate occasions) that he believes he’ll be terrible at wizardry, and finally he’s afraid that the sorting hat will not choose a house for him and he’ll be sent back. Even after a full year he believes that Hermione is a better wizard than himself (SS chp. 16). The only flaws in his character seem to be a tendency to break rules, and some rashness in dealing with problems. The midnight duel, the restricted section of the library, and the Mirror of Erised trips being cases where selfish reasons prevailed over honorable activity and the only punishment was being nearly eaten by Fluffy. Otherwise he is a good influence on his friends, maybe discussion on why he breaks those rules?

I enjoyed re-reading the book, and I thought too much and wrote a lot.


[SPOILER if you haven’t read SS. Just thought you ought to know.]
(Another random thing was Quirrell’s apparent affinity to vampires. I mean they talk about him meeting vampires, then the garlic, and at the last you find out he’s been drinking innocent blood for immortality, and he can’t touch Harry because love is so pure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment