Dang, I wrote a really long comment to Karen's post and then there was a random power outage and I lost the whole thing. Yay Thailand. But I said something along the lines of the following.
I remember being a little creeped out when reading this book as an 11-year-old (or thereabouts). My parents didn't outright forbid any books to me, but I knew they discussed doing so and I felt a little guilty reading something that seemed so dark. I enjoyed this one much more the second time I read it, when I was a little older.
What I did enjoy, even when I was 11, was the "mystery" aspect of it. The plots of the earlier books resemble mystery novels in certain ways, and that is one of my favorite things about them. The mysterious feel of this one made it a pretty good page-turner. I also LOVE the humor in this one, especially with the ghosts. The History of Magic professor kills me! Also, Rowling is still very much introducing the world of Hogwarts in this one and it's fun to discover all its quirks. For me, whatever quibbles I have with the characters or the storyline, the fun atmosphere of these books is addicting.
On a side-note, I was surprised to find out later that a basilisk is a rooster/lizard thing. I guess this may be an example of how Rowling adapts things to fit her own ends.
Overall, a great second effort by Rowling as we start to get into the thick of it. But not as good as my favorite of the series which you all will be reading next! I've read it enough times that I don't feel the need to do so again, but I think I'll be joining you for the rest of the series.
The History Professor and the Deathday party! SO. Much. Fun. There were a lot of things that earned this book cool points.
ReplyDeleteThree is your favorite, eh? *makes mental note* I think I know why...
I think Rowling is just going with older traditions about the Basilisk. It morphed into the chicken thing later, as I understand. It's pretty nifty cool either way.
You know what's weird, the third book is my favorite as well. I'm not sure I could tell you why, just that I am really looking forward to reading it again.
ReplyDeleteThat's cool to know about the basilisk. Does the older have it hatch from a rooster's egg as well?